bettie

Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Lora's Rants and Reviews
Read from September 10 to December 02, 2014

Portman Square

Read here

"I SIT DOWN UNASKED, AND I ANNOUNCE MY OWN NAME—ANDREW TREVERTON."

Opening: BOOK I: CHAPTER I: THE TWENTY-THIRD OF AUGUST, 1829.

"Will she last out the night, I wonder?"

"Look at the clock, Mathew."

"Ten minutes past twelve! She has lasted the night out. She has lived, Robert, to see ten minutes of the new day."

These words were spoken in the kitchen of a large country-house situated on the west coast of Cornwall. The speakers were two of the men-servants composing the establishment of Captain Treverton, an officer in the navy, and the eldest male representative of an old Cornish family. Both the servants communicated with each other restrainedly, in whispers—sitting close together, and looking round expectantly toward the door whenever the talk flagged between them.

"It's an awful thing," said the elder of the men, "for us two to be alone here, at this dark time, counting out the minutes that our mistress has left to live!"

Nothing like a Victorian classic to snuggle up with in the dark days of the year. Not the best Wilkie, yet not to be sneezed at

Wiki: The Dead Secret was first published serially in Charles Dickens’ ‘’Household Words’’ in 1856, and by Bradbury & Evans later the same year.

5* Woman in White