bettie

Dead Poets Society by N.H. Kleinbaum

Dead Poets Society - N.H. Kleinbaum

bookshelves: poetry, re-read, published-1989

Read from January 01, 1991 to January 01, 2009, read count: 2

Description: Todd Anderson and his friends at Welton Academy can hardly believe how different life is since their new English professor, the flamboyant John Keating, has challenged them to "make your lives extraordinary! " Inspired by Keating, the boys resurrect the Dead Poets Society--a secret club where, free from the constraints and expectations of school and parents, they let their passions run wild. As Keating turns the boys on to the great words of Byron, Shelley, and Keats, they discover not only the beauty of language, but the importance of making each moment count.But the Dead Poets pledges soon realize that their newfound freedom can have tragic consequences. Can the club and the individuality it inspires survive the pressure from authorities determined to destroy their dreams?

'Make your lives extraordinary'

This was more a skim through than a re-read to get names and theme right before re-watching the film tonight (channel 5 with those long commercial breaks that make one want to scream). The skim was as powerful as the first time fully reading, especially so for those of us who have taught, lectured or trained or had a domineering parent whose catch phrase was 'assume the position'. I think my 5* rating will seem too high to most but the score reflects how much I enjoyed it.

Of course, Robin Williams brings it all to life magnificently - and how about the long shots of nature through the mists.

Five ♥ Carpe Diem ♥s.

Now I wish to rewatch the Fisher king ... *wanders off to stage right, muttering*