bettie

Bettie's Books

Don't Look Back by Gregg Hurwitz

Don't Look Back - Gregg Hurwitz

bookshelves: published-2014, summer-2014, adventure, mexico, net-galley, e-book, newtome-author, rape

Read from August 02 to 11, 2014

Description: After the breakup of her marriage, Evie takes the holiday of a lifetime. A few weeks of hiking, rafting and jungle adventure at an eco-lodge in Mexico sound ideal. But what should have been the perfect pick-me-up soon turns into a nightmare.

Nothing is quite what it seems. There are secrets hidden that can't be allowed to leave their jungle hiding place. And which their keeper will kill to protect.

If she is ever to see her son again, Evie will be forced to find reserves of strength, courage and ingenuity she never dreamt existed. Or die trying.

It's a jungle out there!

Left feeling completely indifferent to both characters and plot. Maybe the rape in the opening jungle scenes had something to do with my apathy, or maybe it was the writing that never once made me stop to admire a turn of phrase or marvel at a description. There are many who enjoy Hurwitz judging the ratings on his previous books so I'm not sure he will mind too much if he loses out on my conversion.

Two and a half machete swipes and a hand wobble is all I can muster.

Gregg Hurwitz is the internationally bestselling author of You're Next, Or She Dies, We Know and I See You. A graduate of Harvard and Oxford Universities, he lives with his family in California, where he writes screenplays, television and comics including Batman and Wolverine.