bettie

Bettie's Books

Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks

Hallucinations - Oliver Sacks

bookshelves: summer-2014, history, nonfiction, published-2012, sciences, psychology

Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Brain Pickings
Read from July 13 to 23, 2014

Read more of this article from Brain Pickings

"While our delusions may keep us sane, hallucinations — defined as perceptions that arise independently of external reality, as when we see, hear, or sense things that aren’t really there — are an entirely different beast, a cognitive phenomenon that mimics mysticism and has no doubt inspired mystical tales over the millennia. In the 18th century, Swiss lawyer-turned-naturalist Charles Bonnet, the first scientist to use the term evolution in a biological context, turned to philosophy after deteriorating vision rendered him unable to perform the necessary observations of science. Blindness eventually gave him a special form of complex visual hallucinations, known today as Charles Bonnet syndrome, but he was otherwise fully lucid and marveled, as a cognitive scientist might, at “how the theater of the mind could be generated by the machinery of the brain.”

Charles Bonnet Syndrome also discussed in Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind