bettie

Bettie's Books

The Lost Heart Of Asia

The Lost Heart Of Asia - Colin Thubron

bookshelves: under-500-ratings, published-1994, travel, nonfiction, paper-read, one-penny-wonder, politics, turkmenistan, dip-in-now-and-again, spring-2014, books-with-a-passport, lifestyles-deathstyles, uzbekistan, kazakstan, kyrgyzstan

Read from March 05 to 16, 2014

photo 384023_zps5a7625f8.jpg

Description: Thubron travelled throughout Central Asia in the wake of the break-up of the Soviet Union and documented the widespread social upheaval in a region reeling from political change. Thubron is an inspirational writer, intrepid traveller and insightful observer and his The Lost Heart of Asia is an outstanding guide to the history, people and culture of a vast region resonating with history and politics.

Opening: TURKMENISTAN: The sea had fallen behind us, and we were flying above a desrt of dream-like immensity. Its sands melted into the sky, corroding every horizon in a colourless light. Nothing suggested we were anywhere, or even moving at all. The last solid objects in the universe were the wing-tips of the plane.

Ashkhabad

Makhtumkuli - the eighteenth-century founder of Turkic literature.

It is claimed that Merv was briefly the largest city in the world in the 12th century.

Bukhara is the capital of Uzbekistan

Samarkand

When God loved us
He gave us Amu Dariya
When he ceased to love us
He sent us Russian engineers