bettie

Travels With My Aunt

Travels With My Aunt - Graham Greene, Gloria Emerson

bookshelves: published-1969, summer-2010, amusing

Read on August 15, 2010

Henry Pulling, a retired bank manager, meets his old aunt for the first time in over 50 years. She persuades him to travel with her. Through his aunt, a veteran of Europe's hotel bedrooms, Henry joins a shiftless, twilight society - coming alive after a dull suburban lifetime.

"Travels with My Aunt is the only book I have written for the fun of it. Although the subject is old age and death – a suitable subject to tackle at the age of sixty-five – and though an excellent Swedish critic described the novel justly as "laughter in the shadows of the gallows," I experienced more of the laughter and little of the shadow in writing it. When I began with the scene of the cremation of Henry Pulling’s supposed mother and his encounter with Aunt Augusta I didn’t believe for a moment that I would continue the novel for more than a few days. I didn’t even know what the next scene was likely to be..." [Graham Greene:]

With:

Anna Massey........Aunt Augusta
Robert Glenister........Henry Pulling and ALL OTHER PARTS!