bettie

Bettie's Books

September by Rosamunde Pilcher

September - Rosamunde Pilcher

bookshelves: autumn-2012, britain-scotland, hardback, one-penny-wonder, paper-read, food-glorious-food, published-1990, aga-saga, flufferoonies, bucolic-or-pastoral, gardening, mental-health, families, sport

Read in January, 2012

I picked this book for two reasons.

1) the title, which fits into my personal season goals

2) it is based in Scotland, where one day I shall park a rocking chair and remember life incidences, chuckle, knit, learn to smoke a pipe and re-read treasures.

Enough! as Eliot would say.

No dedication.

A book in four sections:
May
June
August
September

My bookmark for this is a newly arrived postcard of Hilton Head Island sent through from flister Susanna.

Opening: In early May, the summer came, at last, to Scotland. Winter had clung, with steely fingers, for far too long, refusing to relinquish its cruel grip.

After just a few pages my delight is with the writing. I have been reading quite a few adventure driven stories just recently so this is soothing.

I'll defiitely look for more Pilcher when I need a comfort read. High 3

SKIPPABLE TRIVIA ALERT:

On page 256 there is mention of Headley Hall, which was turned into a rehabilitation centre after WWII. It was the experimental prosthetic work (my maternal grandfather brought down from Leith) done within the labs of the Epsom Cluster before and during the war that this nearby ex-tudor farm was given over to fitting and convalescence. This explains why I am English by birth and not Scottish.

I am amazed that eight readers have shelved this as historical fiction.

"The girls would work at their knitting, making socks for the menfolk. And when it came to turning the heels, the sock was given to an older sister or their mother because that bit of knitting was too complicated for them to do." 3 comments

"The room was so small, it was like sleeping in a Wendy house, or even a cupboard, but that was part of its charm. There was space for his bed and a chest of drawers with a mirror hanging over it but no more. A couple of hooks on the back of the door did duty as a wardrobe, and there was a neat little light over his bedhead, so that he could read in bed if he wanted to."

"Rachmaninov - piano concerto No.2 (Adagio sostenuto) : http://youtu.be/bAK2J05Vmhc"

"O Caledonia! stern and, wild,
Meet nurse for a poetic child!
Land of brown heath and shaggy wood
Land of the mountain and the flood,
Land of my sires! what mortal hand
Can e'er untie the filial band,
That knits me to thy rugged strand!

The "Lay of the Last Minstrel" by Sir Walter Scott