bettie

Bettie's Books

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium #2)

The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium Trilogy) - Stieg Larsson

bookshelves: boo-scary, conflagration, filthy-lucre, mystery-thriller, psychology, revenge, too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts

Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** 20/09/2009 - Just watched the film and it's not as good as the first, much the same as the first book is better than the second. I wanted her to utter 'sweet' but no, it didn't come. Looking forward to the third.

-------------------------------------------------

Right! I have had some sleep after that marathon reading session, and now have some time sipping coffee and weighing up what to say about this long-awaited book that doesn't give anything away to interfere with TGWPWF anticipation for you.

On the minus side - you have to be prepared for moments where you say to yourself "no way"; yes! whole paragraphs, indeed some complete chapters demand a suspension of disbelief.

On the plus side - I could not put it down if I had wanted to as it's a roller-coaster, a veritable chinese monorail ride with all else but the book being blurred to the senses.

So is it a 4* or is it a 5*? Technically it's a four but because of the pure enjoyment it gave to me I leave it as the five that I initially awarded it at 03:05 this morning when I finished. To sum up this excitement ride I will leave you with words from Lisbeth:

"A Harley Davidson - Sweet"

---

ETA I moved it down to a 4* after watching the film*

First paragraph :

She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. The harness was tight across her rib cage. Her hands were manacled to the sides of the bed.