bettie

Bettie's Books

Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom

Winter in Madrid - C.J. Sansom

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery-thriller, war, spies, revenge, published-2006

Read in February, 2009

A wonderful read, and so interesting from a historical point of view. Need to gen up on Kim Philby now.
---

I have indulged in too much fast and over the top fiction recently so this is a breath of fresh air where a mature and competent writer is feeding us a mature and competent read.

---

I inadvertently left my current reads at the shoppe so have opened this up to dig into this evening *rubs handies together*.

A popular mystery writer breaks out with this page-turning international bestseller set in post-Civil War Spain
September 1940: the Spanish Civil War is over, Madrid lies in ruin, while the Germans continue their march through Europe, and General Franco evades Hitler's request that he lead his broken country into yet another war. Into this uncertain world comes a reluctant spy for the British Secret Service, sent to gain the confidence of Sandy Forsyth, an old school friend turned shady Madrid businessman. Meanwhile, an ex-Red Cross nurse is engaged in a secret mission of her own. Through this dangerous game of intrigue, C. J. Sansom's riveting tale conjures a remarkable sense of history unfolding and the profound impact of impossible choices.