bettie

Bettie's Books

Cold Fusion 2000 - Karl Drinkwater Recieved by the author nearly a year ago. Oooops, sorry Karl. Anyways, I love the signing you put on the inside cover:Karl DrinkwaterDecember 2012A Wet DayBack cover shows Dante Gabriel Rossetti, La Donna della Finestra 1879and that in itself is worth a star!Opening: A Brief History of Time1992. The Shaman yelled Eezer Goode, Eezer Goode. Alex listened; decided that MSc's 're good and started his postgrad in physics.1993. MSc over, Alex started a PhD on the topic of ancient physics. UB40 sang (I can't help) Falling in Love With You. Alex met a first year undergraduate called Lucy Spiers. He couldn't help himself.Because I am a sucker for the music I'll list the other choices mentioned by the protagonist Alex for the years that lead up to the start of the story.1994: Saturday Night, Whigfield and D:ream "Things can only get better"1995: Coolio- Gangster's Paradise 1996: Fugees - Killing Me Softly (with lyrics) and Spice Girls - Wannabe1997: Natalie Imbruglia - Torn and Aqua - Barbie Girl 1998: Madonna*Frozen1999: Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much 2000: Eminem - The Real Slim Shady page 59 "We could go to the Whiworth just over there. They've got all sorts of textile stuff. You were always into that, right? And it's free." Hannah Smith's casketFor most of this story Alex should have done a Reggie Perrin, yet for all his existential angst about how ineffectual his life is, his heart comes through in the end and this story becomes a charming rom-com. Because this is set in Manchester I had expected a Bowker-esque story (David Bowker's ouevre is just right for some dark evening reading) but this was another galaxy entirely. Light and fluffy without being mawkish or sentimental.