bettie

Bettie's Books

The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear - Walter Moers, John Brownjohn I'm doing the Kermie flail because here we have mini pirates.MINI - PIRATES I tell yar! blurb - Captain Bluebear is a bear with blue fur, a creature as unique as thefantastic adventures he undergoes. Unlike cats, which have only ninelives, bluebears have twenty-seven. This is fortunate, because our herois forever avoiding disaster by a paw's breadth. In this remarkablebook, Captain Bluebear tells the story of his first thirteen-and-a-halflives spent on the mysterious continent of Zamonia, where intelligenceis an infectious disease and water flows uphill, where headless giantsroam deserts made of sugar, and where only Captain Bluebear's courageand ingenuity enable him to escape the dangers that lie in wait forhim around every corner. In company with our indomitable hero, we entera realm of the imagination that combines the fantasy of The Lord ofthe Rings and The Neverending Story with the humour of Baron Munchausen,and where anything can exist except boredom. It's a land of imaginativelunacy and supreme adventure, wicked satire and epic fantasy, all mixedtogether and turned on its head. Playful enough for young adult readers,yet as intricate and engaging as any work of literary fiction, The 131/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear has the plot of a novel and the spontaneityand humor of a vintage comic book, making it an instant international hit.Read By Bronson PinchotUnabridged.You can watch the film hereDidn't reach the 5* because of the length of the thing - my head nearly exploded with the cleverness.