bettie

Bettie's Books

The Town Below the Ground: Edinburgh's Legendary Underground City - Jan-Andrew Henderson Another one-penny-wonder in sooper-dooper condition; I am being spoilt.Do you remember that bit in [b:Edinburgh Picturesque Notes|8242986|Edinburgh Picturesque Notes|Robert Louis Stevenson|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515Ymbks7ZL._SL75_.jpg|2664484] where the piper on chanter hikes underground middens whilst being tracked on ground level, then *gasp* the music stops dead and the piper is never seen again? Well that is what prompted me to look a little further into the subject. My interest was already piqued with one of the Rebus novels by Ian Rankin, and as many times as I have been to the Scottish capital I have not been ::Down:There::Opening lines of the Introduction: Some people believe there is a city under the pavements of Edinburgh: a dark, mysterious, forgotten place. They say it is a metropolis - that miles of streets and houses exist down there - banished forever from the light. Others claim there is no underground city - that the town below the ground isn't real. It is a fairy-tale, no more than legend. The truth, in fact, is somewhere in-between.There is an underground city; it is a near-mythical place but it does exist. And you can find it - if you know where to look.Okay, looks like this read will be hoisted with hyperbole and I can live with that if the content is intriguing enough. This would be a fun book to have with you when visiting the city - a tour here and a whisky chaser, a tour there and a whisky chaser, so by the time one gets to the McKenzie Poltergeist chapter just before entering Greyfriars Churchyard you are ripe for a heart attack at the slightest change in air current.