bettie

Bettie's Books

The Seance - John Harwood Dedication: For RobinThere is a little 'how-to' section before the book starts in earnest:To manifest a spirit, take twenty yards of fine silk veiling, at least two yards wide and very gauzy. Wash carefully, and rinse seven times. Prepare a soulution* of one jar Balmain's Luminous paint; half a pint of Demar Varnish, on pint odourless benzine and fifty drops lavender oil. Work thoroughly through the fabric while it is still damp, and then allow to dry for three days. Then wash with naphtha soap until all the colour is gone and the fabric is perfectly soft and pliable. In a darkened room, the fabric will appear as a soft, luminous vapour.Revelations of a Spirit Medium (1891)*A typo, which once discovered was left uncorrected.Opening : If my sister Alma had lived, I should never have begun the séances. She died of scarlatina, soon after her second birthday, when I was five years old.