bettie

Bettie's Books

September - Rosamunde Pilcher Photo of my cover as it is not available here on Goodreads or Librarything. This copy has 531 pages.I picked this book for two reasons. 1) the title, which fits into my personal season goals 2) it is based in Scotland, where one day I shall park a rocking chair and remember life incidences, chuckle, knit, learn to smoke a pipe and re-read treasures.Enough! as Eliot would say.No dedication.A book in four sections:MayJuneAugustSeptemberMy bookmark for this is a newly arrived postcard of Hilton Head Island sent through from flister Susanna.Opening: In early May, the summer came, at last, to Scotland. Winter had clung, with steely fingers, for far too long, refusing to relinquish its cruel grip.After just a few pages my delight is with the writing. I have been reading quite a few adventure driven stories just recently so this is soothing.I'll defiitely look for more Pilcher when I need a comfort read. High 3SKIPPABLE TRIVIA ALERT: On page 256 there is mention of Headley Hall, which was turned into a rehabilitation centre after WWII. It was the experimental work (my maternal grandfather brought down from Leith) done within the labs of the Epsom Cluster before and during the war that this nearby ex-tudor farm was given over to fitting and convalescence. This explains why I am English by birth and not Scottish.I am amazed that eight readers have shelved this as historical fiction.