bettie

Bettie's Books

The Denial of Death - Ernest Becker, Raymond Todd Unabridged. Points brought up:- ersatz immortality: religion, fame, lay a garden, write a book etc etc - practice dying- narcissism: heroic urge- invent worries and anxieties when there are none to be had Pascal - 'Not to be mad would amount to another form of madness'Animal life = body, bodily functions, urges, happiness ∴ cake AND deathHuman life = mental processes, supression of urges and bodily functions advocated down the years by religion/social mores/prevailing modes of ethics or morality, angst about death then death.This is all really interesting if you take the base premise that the earth and its environs are stable, the universe will just stay passively static whilst we battle out these lateral thinking conundrums - but, but, but, we are forgetting one thing *faux gasp*...- the guilt laid on by every man-made religion is adding to man's trouble. The only comfort given by these institutions is the carrot of a life everlasting, prime time frollicking with loved ones in the green pastures of a non-existant future. In the mean time, whilst you wait, feel guilt at your shortcomings, empty your purse, pull your forelock and kill the man who doesn't adhere to your version of life everlasting. Philistinism = trivial, narrow: A philistine person is the man or woman who is smugly narrow of mind and of conventional morality whose materialistic views and tastes indicate a lack of and indifference to cultural and æsthetic values. Schizophrenia = BIG EGO/failed heroics Schizophrenia definition: characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by poor emotional responsiveness. It most commonly manifests itself as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction. schizophrenia does not imply a "split personality", or "multiple personality disorder" (which is known these days as dissociative identity disorder)—a condition with which it is often confused in public perception. (Wiki Sourced) “I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to achieve immortality through not dying.”― Woody AllenJust after the halfway point and discussion turns to the point where, as Camus indicates 'okay, I don't believe in God anymore, I must find a new master' and it is usually a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. How is the McWest doing on this score? slaves to conspicuos consumption, trailing the gossip columns, the body beautiful, trick cyclists for mental beauty and loudly/brashly/fanatically atheistic.Manson Family: Manson believed in what he called "Helter Skelter," a term he took from the song of the same name by The Beatles. Manson believed Helter Skelter to be an impending apocalyptic race war, which he described in his own version of the lyrics to the Beatles' song. He believed his murders would help precipitate that war. (wiki-sourced)Camus:“I do not believe in God and I am not an atheist.”― Albert Camus, Notebooks 1951-1959 Freud: 'It is not so much that man is a herd animal, more that he is a Horde member'“The most painful state of being is remembering the future, particularly the one you'll never have.”― Søren Kierkegaard- romance v sensuality = love v lust GLBT; Fetishism. Okay, I'll fess up, I was agog with this section. Just the terminology cracks me up. S&M, rape Hitler and his poo parties *shudder*AUTOEROTIC BEHAVIOUR: Stephen Milligan: Milligan was found dead in his flat in Black Lion Lane, Chiswick, London by his secretary Vera Taggart on 7 February 1994.[1][5] His corpse was discovered in what was presumed to be a state of autoerotic asphyxiation, combined with self-bondage and cross-dressing. A detail of his death, which was the subject of much comment and speculation at the time, was that he was found to have had an orange segment in his mouth at the time of his death. Police believed that he died on the night of Saturday 5 February 1994. (wiki sourced) Psycopaths, SociopathsNote to self: refresh on KierkegaardAs an aside - Newly re-discovered, Thomas Traherne is making quite an impact on modern culture what with the Merrily Watkins series by Phil Rickman, and this, linking Treherne to the philosophy of Douglas Edison Harding: http://youtu.be/AK2m7rYjZ54