bettie

Bettie's Books

This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession - Daniel J. Levitin In this unprecedented meeting of art and science, rocker-turned-neuroscietist Daniel J. Levitin explores the connection between music -- its performances, its compositions, how we listen to it, why we enjoy it -- and the human brain. Drawing on the lastest research Levitin reveals:- How composers exploit the way our brains make sense of the world- Why we are so emotionally attached to the music we listened to as teenagers- Why 10,000 hours of practice, rather than talent, is the key to musical expertise- How those insidious little jingles (called earworms) get stuck in our headTaking on prominent thinkers who argue that music is nothing more than an evolutionary accident, a sort of parasite on the human brain, Levitin argues that music is fundamental to our species, perhaps even more so than language. This is Your Brain on Music is an ear-opening, mind-blowing investigation into an obsession at the center of our human nature.Live music demos performed by the author.Abridged. Approximately 6 hours.I feel that one would have to be 'in the field' to wade through the book eyeball-to-print, as this audio was sleep-inducing even with the shiny music inserts. There were some very interesting moments but I feel his point of view could have been summed up as:music and rythym are more deeply seated in the mind than even the urge to language.Then he could have gawn orft and had a round of golf or something.