bettie

Bettie's Books

Castle Rackrent - Maria Edgeworth From the overly long introduction, which one should avoid at all costs unless you wish to take away the urge to actually .read.the.book.:- first regional novel- first socio-historical novel- first Irish novel- first Big House novel- first saga novelSo having discarded the intro after the first few lines, here I bring you to the opening sentence, which is also overly long:Having out of friendship for the family, upon whose estate, praised be Heaven! I and mine have lived rent free time out of mind, voluntarily undertaken to publish the memoirs of the Rackrent Family, I think it my duty to say a few words, in the first place, concerning myself.He that goes to bed, and goes to bed sober,Falls as the leaves do, falls as the leaves do, and dies in October -But he that goes to bed, and goes to bed mellow,Lives as he ought to do, lives as he ought to do, and dies an honest fellow.