bettie

Bettie's Books

A Bend in the River - V.S. Naipaul I don't think that amazon.co.uk holds the same reviews as amazon.com. On the former site the first review there(from Birmingham UK, if I remember rightly) states Africa is a country, and that particular misconception is usually voiced by Alaskan politicians. ------ ETA - Have spotted what may be the source of the gaff - Naipaul is talking generically and stipulates no African country in particular so reviewers respond in the same vein.------Doing a Sheerluck - it is mentioned that they managed to get to the border town of Kisoro, Uganda so this nameless African country that Biswas is talking about has to be either Rwanda or DR Congo. There is also mention that Salim has left the coast so I would say it has to be:The Big Man - Mobutu------There are swathes of 'spouting from the soap box' but that doesn't detract from the fact that this is an excellent observation of taut transition - masterful.