bettie

Bettie's Books

This Orient Isle: Elizabethan England and the Islamic World

This Orient Isle: Elizabethan England and the Islamic World - Jerry Brotton

Description: Professor Jerry Brotton, one of the UK's leading experts on cultural exchange, examines Queen Elizabeth I's fascination with the Orient. He shows that England's relations with the Muslim world were far more extensive, and often more amicable, than we have ever appreciated, and that their influence was felt across the political, commercial and domestic landscape of Elizabethan England.

Derek Jacobi reads the captivating account of how Britain sent ships, treaties and gifts to the royal families of Morocco and Turkey, including a gold carriage and a full-size pipe organ.

1/5: discover the origins of our taste for Oriental imports - including the sugar which rotted the teeth of our sovereign.

2/5: A merchant voyage ends in tragedy when the crew is captured

3/5: the sights and sounds of a royal pageant held in Whitehall in the year 1600 for the Moroccan ambassador.

4/5: Queen Elizabeth I's advisers debate how to satisfy yet again the sultan of Turkey's demands for elaborate royal presents.

5/5: we visit the London stage to discover the Elizabethan fascination with the little-known world of Islam, particularly by Shakespeare and Marlowe.