bettie

Bettie's Books

Malt by Mallett

Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse (Brewing Elements) - John Mallett

Description: Brewers often call malt the soul of beer. Fourth in the Brewing Elements series, Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse delves into the intricacies of this key ingredient used in virtually all beers. This book provides a comprehensive overview of malt, with primary focus on barley, from the field through the malting process. With primers on history, agricultural development and physiology of the barley kernel, John Mallett (Bell s Brewery, Inc.) leads us through the enzymatic conversion that takes place during the malting process. A detailed discussion of enzymes, the Maillard reaction, and specialty malts follows. Quality and analysis, malt selection, and storage and handling are explained. This book is of value to all brewers, of all experience levels, who wish to learn more about the role of malt as the backbone of beer."

Opening: Harry Harlan—the “Indiana Jones” of Barley: A strange and winding path led me to the basement repository of the Kalamazoo Public Library to read about the Ethiopian people. Physically, the journey was just a quick walk down a set of stairs, but intellectually the trail was long and complex, sown with seeds of barley. I was in that book-lined basement on a mission to locate the 1925 National Geographic article “A Caravan Journey through Abyssinia” written by Harry Harlan. Harry had become a bit of an obsession for me, and I was trying to find out as much about him and his life as I could.

Ever since a visit to St. James's in Dublin xx years ago, I have been rather drawn to aspects of the brewing industry. I would like to track down Harry Vaughn Harlan's, he sounds fab!

circa 1924