bettie

Bettie's Books

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

Description: Told with deadpan humour & bitter irony, Kurt Vonnegut's cult tale of global destruction preys on our deepest fears of witnessing Armageddon &, worse still, surviving it ...
Dr Felix Hoenikker, one of the founding 'fathers' of the atomic bomb, has left a deadly legacy to the world. For he's the inventor of 'ice-nine', a lethal chemical capable of freezing the entire planet. The search for its whereabouts leads to Hoenikker's three ecentric children, to a crazed dictator in the Caribbean, to madness. Felix Hoenikker's Death Wish comes true when his last, fatal gift to humankind brings about the end, that for all of us, is nigh...

When a turtle puts his head back into the shell, does its spine buckle or contract? I knew within ten minutes of listening that this was going to be waay too short.

The St Lorenzo National Anthem to Home, Home on the Range sent wine onto the screen.
No damn cat
no damn cradle
Science is magic that works.

There were no smells. There was no movement. Every step I took made a gravelly squeak in blue-white frost. And every squeak was echoed loudly.

5* Mother Night
Cat's Cradle
3* Galápagos
3* Slaughterhouse-Five(wish to re-read)
3* God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater