bettie

Bettie's Books

The Heart Goes Last

The Heart Goes Last - Margaret Atwood

Read by Cassandra Campbell, Mark Deakins: 12:11hrs

Description: Living in their car, surviving on tips, Charmaine and Stan are in a desperate state. So, when they see an advertisement for Consilience, a ‘social experiment’ offering stable jobs and a home of their own, they sign up immediately. All they have to do in return for suburban paradise is give up their freedom every second month – swapping their home for a prison cell. At first, all is well. But then, unknown to each other, Stan and Charmaine develop passionate obsessions with their ‘Alternates,’ the couple that occupy their house when they are in prison. Soon the pressures of conformity, mistrust, guilt and sexual desire begin to take over.

Consilience: Latin com- together and -siliens jumping (as in resilience). The linking together of principles from different disciplines especially when forming a comprehensive theory

A subject that interests me greatly because its non-use is directly impacting on my life. I read Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge back when it came out and nodded my head through Wilson's rants about scientists of differing disciplines not speaking to each other. I came across the same complaint in The Dean's Diaries.

If I never read about knitted blue bears again, it will be too soon. This is a hideous story on all levels, and I am not sure it has any bigger picture/ higher learning curve whatsoever, or throw any exquisite light onto the the workings of the human psyche.

Twelve hours of dreck is all.