bettie

Bettie's Books

The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea by Mary South

The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea - Mary South

Description: At forty, Mary South seemed to have it all: a beautiful home in Pennsylvania, a group of close friends, the companionship of two loving Jack Russell terriers and a successful career in book publishing. But shuttling between the conference room at work and her couch in front of the TV at home, South couldn't help feeling that she was missing something intangible but essential. So she decided to go looking for it where so many have before: at sea.

Six months later, she had quit her job, sold the house, graduated seamanship school and was living aboard a 40-foot, 30-ton steel trawler. Despite South's total lack of experience, the maiden voyage of the rechristened Bossanova was to be a journey up the eastern seaboard. Along with her crew (the dogs and her buddy John—her odd-couple opposite in politics, lifestyle and pretty much everything except a love of the open ocean), she set off on a fifteen-hundred mile odyssey from Florida to Maine. But what began as the fulfillment of an idle wish became a crash course in navigating the byways of the self.

Opening: Not long ago, I was probably a lot like you. I had a successful career, a pretty home, two dogs and a fairly normal life. All I kept were the dogs. Then one day in October 2003, I quit my good job and put my sweet little house on the market. I packed a duffel bag of clothes and everything else I owned went into storage. Within weeks I was the proud owner of an empty bank account and a 40-foot, 30-ton steel trawler that I had no idea how to run.

This woman is a snarky malcontent and a complaining ingrate - what's with the dissing of PA, some of the finest people I know live there. I suppose we all wriggle and squirm when feeling like a square peg in a round hole. So, having put the personality to one side, the factual adventuring is wonderful.

Tugboat definition: a small, powerful boat for towing or pushing ships, barges etc. Roll 'tugboat' across your palate and see if it doesn't fill your senses with the power of small efficiency - that middle 'g' is exhilarating, and the lingering end 't' sealing in the strength.

**gasp** I have just found out that a Mary South was Tom Cruise's mam, however let me qualify, that woman (Tom Cruise Actor's mother goes missing, Scientology blamed ) has nothing to do with this woman.

'Burrells Inlet, South Carolina. If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by. Tucked back behind a strip of shoreline north of Pawley's Island and south of Myrtle Beach, it was one of the friendliest places we visited.'
- 69/133

I found a Murrell's Inlet - so maybe this is a typo in the book.

A quick read which should have front-ended more feel-good-factor to let readers buy in.