bettie

bookshelves: autumn-2015, play-dramatisation, published-1955, radio-3
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura
Recommended for: BBC Radio Listeners
Read from October 17 to 19, 2015

Description: Martin Jarvis directs Arthur Miller's 1955 award-winning masterpiece. Recorded specially in the US for Drama On 3. Alfred Molina leads an all-star American cast. Universal themes of family, guilt, loyalty, sexual attraction, jealousy - and love - in a powerful story about illegal immigration that still resonates to our time 60 years later.

Miller's finest play. Italian-American neighbourhood near the Brooklyn Bridge, New York. 1950s.

Lawyer Alfieri (our narrator) confides to listeners there are cases where he can only watch as they run their bloody course.

Longshoreman Eddie Carbone lives with his wife Beatrice and her orphaned niece, Catherine, in a Brooklyn tenement. He has a love of, almost an obsession with, 17 year old Catherine. Beatrice's Italian cousins are being smuggled into the country. The family hide the illegal immigrants, Marco and Rodolpho, while they work on the docks. Eddie's increasing suspicion and jealousy of Rodolpho's developing relationship with Catherine ('he ain't right, he cooks, he sings, he makes dresses') eventually leads to betrayal and a tragic confrontation.

Daniel
Just as we are nearing the end of these centenary celebrations hosted by Auntie, an flister points in the direction of Miller's insincerity and lines that just two days ago I would have looked on as strengthening, I now see as pieces of pissed-in Pampers posited on pathway in patters of precipitation.

"My oh my!" you are muttering among yourselves, "Bettie has lost the plot with that pained passage of P's."

The paradigm has shifted, that's what has happened, all those deep lines, the panoply he gave us, has paled into papery insignificance. Miller made a pretty penny by playing the parenting card.

"Most people ain't People," says Eddie Carbone.
Daniel