bettie

Bettie's Books

The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter by Malcolm Mackay

The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter - Malcolm Mackay

Description: A twenty-nine-year-old man lives alone in his Glasgow flat. The telephone rings; a casual conversation, but behind this a job offer. The clues are there if you know to look for them. He is an expert. A loner. Freelance. Another job is another job, but what if this organisation wants more? A meeting at a club. An offer. A brief. A target: Lewis Winter. It's hard to kill a man well. People who do it well know this. People who do it badly find out the hard way. The hard way has consequences.

Opening: It starts with a telephone call. Casual, chatty, friendly, no business. You arrange to meet, neutral venue, preferably public.

It is valid to say that this is an unnecessary wooden monotonic drek of a book, however, to be charitable I will just say that I have no interest in reading further into the series. I did read through to the end to see if the pedestrian prose ever garnered a zestful slant - rest assured, it didn't break out of the tedium.