bettie

Bettie's Books

Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper

Etta and Otto and Russell and James: A Novel - Emma Hooper

bookshelves: published-2015, net-galley, e-book, ipad, canada, winter-20142015, those-autumn-years
Read from November 30 to December 02, 2014

Penguin Books (UK)

Pub Date Jan 29 2015
Archive Date Jan 22 2015

Description: Etta's greatest unfulfilled wish, living in the rolling farmland of Saskatchewan, is to see the sea.

And so, at the age of eighty-two she gets up very early one morning, takes a rifle, some chocolate, and her best boots, and begins walking the 2, 000 miles to water. Meanwhile her husband Otto waits patiently at home, left only with his memories. Their neighbour Russell remembers too, but differently - and he still loves Etta as much as he did more than fifty years ago, before she married Otto.
For C & T
always and always
on and on

Opening: Otto,

the letter began in blue ink

I've gone. I've never seen the water, so I've gone there. Don't worry. I've left you the truck. I can walk. I will try to remember to come back.

Yours (always)
Etta

My, I do seem to have read a goodly amount of 'oldies go a-roving' stories. The first was a the man on his sit-on mower, do you remember that? Then Harold Fry et al.

Well, lookee here, this one has a catch, it has an emotional hook that, implausible as the premise may be, it gets you hook line and sinker.

289 pages fly by!