bettie

Bettie's Books

The Valley of Fear

Reblogged from Bettie's Books:
The Valley of Fear -  Arthur Conan Doyle
bookshelves: autumn-2014, a-questing-we-shall-go, adventure, arch, chase-me-chase-me, cults-societies-brotherhoods, look-behind-you, mystery-thriller, published-1915
Recommended for: BBC Radio Listeners
Read from November 08 to 22, 2014

BABT

Description: The Valley of Fear is the fourth and final Sherlock Holmes novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It is loosely based on the real-life exploits of the Molly Maguires and Pinkerton agent James McParland. The story was first published in the Strand Magazine between September 1914 and May 1915.

1/10: A cipher message warns Sherlock that someone in Birlstone is in imminent danger.

2/10: On hearing the facts surrounding the death, Holmes is intrigued by this very peculiar case

3/10: The local chief detective speculates on the case, but Holmes has other ideas.

4/10: Watson is perturbed by an encounter with the victim's wife.

5/10: Holmes makes a shocking revelation to uncover the truth behind the murder.

6/10: To solve the mystery we must journey back in time to America and into the Valley of Fear.

7/10: In Vermissa, McMurdo is gaining quite a reputation amongst the Lodge brotherhood.

8/10: McMurdo gets a taste of what membership of the Vermissa Lodge actually entails.

9/10: McMurdo discovers the future of the Lodge is in jeopardy.

10/10: McMurdo pledges to hunt down the detective who poses a threat to the Vermissa Lodge.

'...the case hangs on the missing dumbell.'

Reader Ian McKellen