bettie

Bettie's Books

Young Skins by Colin Barrett

Young Skins - Colin Barrett
bookshelves: autumn-2014, shortstory-shortstories-novellas, published-2014, britain-ireland
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Laura
Read from November 06 to 11, 2014

Description: This magnificent collection takes us to Glanbeigh, a small town in rural Ireland – a town in which the youth have the run of the place. Boy racers speed down the back lanes; couples haunt the midnight woods; young skins huddle in the cold once The Peacock has closed its doors. Here the young live hard and wear the scars. It matters whose sister you were seen with. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, it matters a very great deal.

Read the winning story,Diamonds by Colin Barrett, here: http://www.theguardian.com/books/inte...

Opening: I left the city with my connections scorched and my prospects blown, looking only for somewhere to batten down for the winter to come. I left in a bright morning in August, dozing fitfully as the train drifted through the purgatorial horizons of the midlands heading west.